This framework is a practical “how-to” guide for the NSW Government to use AI to improve customer service and public trust.
It aims to help agency practitioners:
- Clarify policy intent in AI systems
- Design and measure ethical outcomes
- Raise awareness of (inevitable) ethical trade-offs
- Improve process and culture for decision explainability and technical reliability
- Advice on data-driven automated systems that involve customers and impact the public services they receive.
- Establish Whole-of-Government principles, guidance and tools to help agencies assess risks and procure, build and implement AI solutions.
The framework is developed using a customer-centred design (human centred design) methodology. We started with and focused on understanding the challenges and needs of AI users, develop an early prototype of the framework and then continue to design and test the strategy with users to ensure it is fit for purpose, usable and future-ready.
Framework Version 1 (October 2019)
The first version will be completed in late October 2019. It will be a living document so will be regularly updated as required.