What is the policy?
The AI Ethics Policy provides a set of key principles for NSW government agencies. It sets out five overarching principles that are designed to ensure best practice use of AI focusing on trust, transparency, customer benefit, fairness, privacy and accountability.
The Policy provides that AI must be:
- The most appropriate solution for a service delivery or policy problem
- Used in such a way as to mitigate as much potential bias as possible
- Used safely, securely, and in line with existing privacy and information access requirements
- A solution that is open and transparent so that NSW citizens have access to efficient review mechanisms
- A solution where the decisions are always subject to human review and intervention