Our strategic focus
A whole-of-government outcomes-based approach
In common with leading digital governments, NSW has a strategic focus on great customer experiences, increasing state productivity, building resilience to future uncertainty, whilst ensuring services are equitable and inclusive.
Achieving these strategic outcomes requires coordination and reuse of digital assets across multiple government departments, industry, academia and with our customers. To aid in identifying the specific digital assets needed, we have developed the below whole-of-government value domain model.
Each value domain relates to specific focus areas where state digital assets have a role. We are able to map current and future digital assets to identify what will have the greatest impact to our strategic ambition.
|NSW WofG Value Domain
|Empowering customers with secure, seamless and personalised services
|Government Service Delivery
|Enabling government to deliver relevant, timely and high quality services
|Secure sharing, access and control of information
|Driving agility with faster time to insights
|Improving society, the environment and economy by using emergent technology and ways of working
|Core to enabling government to function collaboratively and productively, be fiscally responsible, fair and transparent
|Capabilities required by all digital initiatives across government (e.g. cyber, connectivity)
Identifying priorities and assuring for whole-of-government use
State Digital Assets are managed through a prioritisation process to determine when they are ready to be used by all agencies, and to promote their adoption and ensure ongoing sustainability.
1. Identify & prioritise assets
Our process starts by identifying what capabilities we need based on our value domain model. We then review existing, in development or planned digital assets to identify a shortlist of potential options.
Working with cross-department leadership and governance groups, we ensure we have identified the right priorities and potential assets to use. We consider the proposed assets’ value to departments as well as how they relate to other existing assets within the NSW digital architectures, including policies, standards and most importantly the customer.
This helps us create a shortlist of priority SDAs owners* to engage.
* Note: ongoing reference to “SDA owners” refers to program owners of existing or new (developing) assets
2. Engage digital asset owners
Owners of prioritised State Digital Assets are consulted to better understand the assets’ status, benefits (realised and expected) and how they plan to reach whole-of-government adoption.
Asset owners are invited to share any needs and challenges they may have to scale and run their assets sustainably. This can include funding gaps, technical dependencies and agency collaboration. We connect asset owners with relevant best practice standards and guidance.
3. Consult leadership and governance groups
Information collected from asset owners is presented to leadership and governance groups to increase awareness of State Digital Assets, their benefits, funding needs and adoption targets. Assets are endorsed after they have been assessed to be ready for whole-of-government use.
4. Publish on Digital.NSW
Information about State Digital Assets is published on digital.NSW to improve their discoverability. This helps NSW Government agencies to find these assets and start to reuse them as part of their program of work.
5. Advocate for funding and adoption
Working across the State Digital Asset portfolio, we identify which assets have the greatest urgency for support. We coordinate with these asset owners to provide updates to relevant leadership and governance groups, to ensure issues such as funding, adoption, policy that impact their assets’ success are resolved.
6. Assure and report
We regularly report back to leadership and governance groups on the progress and adoption status of State Digital Assets we’ve engaged through this process. We conduct ongoing assessment of all digital and ICT investments to ensure State Digital Assets are incorporated appropriately as part of their program of work.
We have started publishing information on assets that are available for reuse to help NSW public servants find solutions they can use or repurpose.
Working with ICT industry to develop SDAs
We are committed to strengthening industry involvement in NSW’s State Digital Assets.
- working with solution providers to make it easier for commercial products to integrate and use NSW SDAs
- ways to enhance existing digital assets in NSW Government to increase its use across multiple agencies
- evaluating new digital asset opportunities with industry
- connecting existing assets to enable data insights
Want to get involved?
We would like to hear from industry partners who are:
- already providing digital solutions to NSW government and have a proposal for broader agency use related to our value domains and have support from potential agencies
- have a digital solution that is proven to work across multiple governments/businesses, and a clearly defined whole-of-government use case that could be applied in NSW
- have commercial products that integrate with any of NSW assets that are ready for reuse, with forecast value to NSW government
- have a new idea that has a clearly defined whole-of-government use case related to our value domains and a proposal to test this idea to prove value
Get in touch with our team if you meet one or more of the criteria above.