Internet of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT) has the potential to deliver significant benefits to government, industry and citizens by generating intelligent data that can enable better decision making and provide better services.
However the value of Internet of Things is not guaranteed by its use alone. Its true value lies in its application – the way agencies use the information generated by Internet of Things to improve service delivery and infrastructure across the State
The information collected through IoT sensors or smart devices can drive sustainability, liveability, workability, productivity improvements, economic efficiencies and innovation. This data can also be used to drive other advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence, augmented reality, digital twins and machine learning.
The NSW Government is regularly ranked as the most digital-ready government in Australia. Effective deployment and use of Internet of Things across NSW Government requires a consistent approach built on a common understanding of the opportunities, risks, obligations and best practice.
NSW Government's Internet of Things Policy
The Internet of Things Policy applies to all NSW Government agencies. It has been designed to:
- demystify Internet of Things for NSW Government project managers
- encourage innovation with Internet of Things solutions
- build understanding and capability across government
- provide practical guidance for those responsible for delivering Internet of Things-enabled solutions.
The Internet of Things Policy responds to the NSW Government's growing interest in taking advantage of the efficiency gains and decision-making enhancements presented by Internet of Things. However, it is essential that planning and executing an Internet of Things-enabled project will ensure maximum benefits and minimal risks.
Structure of the Policy
The Internet of Things Policy consists of an Internet of Things Policy Statement and Internet of Things Policy Guidance.
The Internet of Things Policy Statement (PDF, 253.53 KB) outlines the NSW Government's position on Internet of Things and principles to be applied by NSW Government employees when making decisions about the implementation of Internet of Things projects and systems.
The Internet of Things Policy Guidance (PDF, 2.76 MB) provides:
- practical guidance to help organisations design, plan and implement Internet of Things solutions
- advice on standards and obligations where available and practical
- tools and templates to help effectively manage an Internet of Things-enabled project
- guidance on where and how to source additional advice if required.
It consists of eight modules that align to an Internet of Things user journey.