Use existing domain names
Use existing nsw.gov.au domains
NSW Government agencies should not launch websites on new domain names. However there are some exceptions that may apply.
All domain registration and administration activities for NSW Government agencies and local councils must comply with the following national policies and guidelines:
- the National Policy & Governance Framework for gov.au domains
- the National gov.au Eligibility and Allocation Policy
- the National Domain Name Guidelines for choosing, managing and retiring domain name
Additionally, NSW Government agencies must conform with C2018-01 Registration and management of domain names ending in nsw.gov.au.
When you're creating digital content, products or services consider how it will fit into your digital strategy and online presence.
We encourage you to:
- review the portfolio of websites that you manage
- decommission sites you no longer need for your agency's core business
- rather than building a new website, consider whether the content meets the criteria for publishing on the central NSW Government website
- either consolidate content into the nsw.gov.au, an existing agency website, or archive it
- email NSW Government digital channels unit at email@example.com to find out whether you can launch a new website, or if an existing one will provide a better customer experience.
Applying for a new domain name
Your application is then forwarded to NSW Government Domain Administrator to check it complies with the Domain Policies and Guidelines.
Domain names are subject to eligibility rules, policies and guidelines.
For more information visit nsw.gov.au domain names guide for how to apply for a new domain and manage your domains.