Use these resources to gain a better understanding of why accessibility is important, how to take an inclusive approach to content and how to test for accessibility.
- Microsoft Inclusive Design Toolkit Learn more about inclusive design and see how Microsoft experiences reflect the spirit of inclusive design as an approach to creating.
- Inclusive Design Research Centre An international community of inclusive designers, developers and advocates.
- Colour Contrast Analyser
- WAVE browser plugin tool WAVE is a web accessibility evaluation tool developed by WebAIM.org. It provides visual feedback about the accessibility of your web content by injecting icons and indicators into your page.
People with accessibility needs may use assistive technology to access content. Testing your content with these technologies is the most accurate way of making sure it’s accessible.
- NVDA Free screen reader available for download (request IT support to install).
- Android accessibility features
- Apple accessibility features
- Microsoft Windows accessibility features
Use these resources to help optimise your content in Microsoft Office, Google Docs, websites or any text publishing platform.
- W3C Tips on writing for web accessibility Comprehensive guide to web writing accessibility
- Creating accessible Word documents
- Creating accessible PowerPoints
- Use the Accessibility Checker to find accessibility issues
- Document accessibility toolbar A free download that adds accessibility features to your Microsoft Office ribbon.
Use these resources to optimise PDFs for accessibility.
- Create and verify PDF accessibility How to create accessible PDFs.
- Acrobat Pro DC Accessible Forms and Interactive Documents How to optimise forms and interactive documents for accessibility.
Use these resources to optimise data for accessibility.
- Creating accessible Excel workbooks
- What to look out for in Excel and how to optimise workbooks for accessibility *Accessible Math Resources and tools to make maths accessible.
Inclusive Rich Media (video, audio)
Use these resources for making rich and multimedia content like audio and video accessible.
Images and graphics
- Diagrammar content model A framework for making images and graphics accessible.
- WebAIM Alternative Text How to correctly use alternative text.
- Documents and media This explains the main accessibility requirements for Media, Word and PDF content, as well as step-by-step instructions for how to implement them.
- DIYCaptions YouTube automatic captions editor.
- Synchrimedia MovieCaptioner
- WebAIM Captions, Transcripts, and Audio Descriptions How to create videos accessibly.
Some companies offer content accessibility audits and can recreate content to comply with accessibility standards. This can be helpful if you have a lot of content to make accessible in a short period of time, however it won't help build capacity and skills across your team.