Managing data & information
Here you'll find guidance, tools and case studies to embed best practice information management processes in your work.
Information Management Framework
The Information Management Framework (IMF) outlines a shared direction for information management in the NSW public sector.
The purpose of the IMF is to:
- Coordinate management of all forms of government information
- Drive information access and sharing across the sector
- Increase management of information as an asset
- Foster information maturity and capacity
- Consolidate and share knowledge
- Build community trust in government information management
The IMF consists of a set of policies, guidelines and standards including:
This policy outlines seven principles that agencies are encouraged to implement as business-as-usual data and information practices.
This policy outlines the roles of responsibilities of government teams to manage information and data appropriately.
Data Quality Reporting Tool
When sharing or opening data, it’s important to provide clear information about the data’s quality and history.
The Data Quality Reporting Tool helps:
- Generate data quality statements for when data is released
- Meet the NSW Standard for Data Quality Reporting
Cyber Security Policy 2019
The Cyber Security Policy establishes the digital information security requirements for the NSW public sector.
These requirements include:
- Reporting to your Agency head and GCISO, in a template provided by GCISO, covering:
- Assessment against all mandatory requirements in the policy for the previous financial year
- Cyber security risks with a residual rating of high or extreme
- Agencies "crown jewels" in a format provided by GCISO
2. Include an attestation on cyber security in your annual report and provide a copy to GCISO
Managing Legacy Information
Many agencies have legacy data and information that is stored in superseded formats and systems. Advice is available to help agencies manage or transition legacy data and information to minimise business risks. Download the NSW Transition Guidelines: Managing legacy data and information here. The State Archives and Records Authority provides a range of comprehensive advice on information management on its website.
NSW Data and Information Custodianship Policy
The NSW Data and Information Custodianship Policy defines a set of principles for the management and maintenance of the State's core data and information assets.
NSW Government Information Classification, Handling and Labeling Guidelines
The NSW Government Information Classification, Handling and Labeling Guidelines help agencies identify the confidentiality requirements of their information assets and apply suitable protective markings.
Our blog has case studies and examples of information and data use across the NSW public sector. The Future Proof blog has a range of case studies about information management and data. Data projects across NSW Government are reported twice a year and showcased on the digital.nsw website.